Saturday, January 29, 2011

cacoethes

Definition:

"An irresistible urge, mania."

Delicious, no?

So I applied for this job that I will probably never get because I have no actual experience in the world of writing/copywriting, but(by the suggestion of Suzy) I thought I would post what I wrote about my top five makeup products.

I honestly did not think it fair to only choose five products, so I chose five brands that are among my every day staples, and threw in a few more products, just for fun !

1. MAC cosmetics
~side note: not many peo
ple are aware that MAC is considered to be stage makeup, that iswhy it is so highly pigmented and thick…


--MAC is a brand that almost everyone and their

mom has now become a fan of. (the mother’s solely because this is where their daughter’s demanded they get their Homecoming and Prom makeup done from.) This alone, almost speaks for itself, but there are some drawbacks to the ever-popular brand, which I will conclude my MAC section with..


- I use MAC mainly for my eyes, fluidline in blacktrack:


lips,Russian Red (or Ruby Woo or really anything)

and brows. Eye Brows in Stud

Their lip colors are exquisite and beautifully pigmented.


They recently came out with a new product called Prolongwear Lipcreme, that is lipstick that will last you all night. Now, I am a bit iffy on the whole “your makeup will last forever and ever and ever andwatch as I take a sip of water, my lipstick didn’t even leave a mark!” (let me just throw in here that there is a touch of class, having lip prints on the glass) Those two-step long last lipsticks never work for me, as I always want to apply more color after the one step-two step process, but the lipstick just crumbles away. Leaving the lips to droop in an inverted u-shape(read:frown) However, there is only one step to the Prolongwear, and it goes on creamy, not sticky, and it really does last you all night.

- Although their vibrant colors for eyes and lips are amazing, you must remember that this is still considered stage makeup. As such, their face products are EXTREMELY HEAVY, which may cause your skin to break out.

2. :Origins
This is one of my all time favorite shops. Although not as edgy as MAC, Origins really holds its own. Their skin care line does what you wish that MAC could do. They really focus on the way a person’s face is made up, allo
wing them to create wonderful things that a face may need.

- I use Origins for

my nightly moisturizer "Look Alive"(which has been discontinued, of course,)

mconcealer(which I use as foundation,)

r

amazing ,powder

and any other skin problems I have at the time.

- Many a friend of mine has been turned on to Origins solely based on my testimonial and great fondness for them.

- In addition to having wonderful moisturizers, masks, toners, eye creams (you name it!) they too have makeup. Although not quite as bold as MAC, Origins has a variety of different shades of eye shadows, blushes, and lipsticks. If you are not accustomed to the audaciousness that MAC provides you, Origins is a great source for the day-to-day cosmetic. This isn’t to say that Origins products are for the prim office worker, they are simply a softer approach to the makeup world, perhaps even a nice place for someone to begin their quest into the world of cosmetics.

3. Makeup:Kryolan Professional
This is another brand that mostly specializes in makeup for Stage and Film, but their colors are a force to be reckoned with. This particular company I have a soft spot in my heart for, because I would speak to the company directly to place orders for the makeup that was needed at Idol Vintage, the vintage store I worked at for two years. They also have a store in San Francisco, which is convenient if you want to go in and test things out for yourself.

- I am a huge fan of Kryolan’s fake eyelashes, lash adhesive, and eye shadows. Their eyeshadows are a cream, so if you blend with a wet brush, a new look is created instantly. They even carry neon shades, which is very popular during the months prior to burning man.

4. Benefit Cosmetics:

Perhaps it is because their vibe totally jives with mine, given the slight 50s air that Benefit gives off, but I truly love the products they have to offer. Also their attention to eyebrows was what really drew me in, one of the things on myself to which I consider flaws fall under the category of EYEBROWS, something that Benefit really takes pride in. (note: I switch off between MAC’s eyebrow pencil and Benefit’s eyebrow pencil+setting gel)

- Some of my favorite new products of the year are Benefit’s Firmology


which is a toning and smoothing serum that I put on before I put on everything else, and their highbrow, which gives the perfect vintage touch to my brows. I also love posie tint (a cheek stain)used in union with high beam. That last one I can’t take full credit for, the woman, Liz, working the benefit counter turned my on to the luminous effect of these two powers combined.

5. Et Cetera:

So my runners up, include, but are not limited to:

- Bumble and Bumble PREP

is a product I can spray onto my hair in the morning, blow dry it, and viola! It has given my hair the perfect look that I had the night before.

- Juliette Hewett’s Cheekie cheek and lip shine in “Bette”

This product is really wonderful.

- Lola, by Marc Jacobs. My daily scent. Whatever she wants, she gets.

. Maitrisse -Perfume by Agent Provocateur Whenever Lola is feeling saucy.

- And last, but very certainly not least CETAPHIL face wash.



I used to be in love with Checks and Balances but was turned on to Cetaphil by my friend’s grandmother. Of course, her skin was perfect, and her secret was to always moisturize, and to use Cetaphil. Naturally, she was right. I whole hartedly believe that Cetaphil is the perfect facewash for all skin types.




ssorry this is such a long post, I don't know the html for a jump :)

No comments:

Post a Comment